Call for Entries
Entered 16 August 2016
Applications are invited for The Cockpit Arts / Leathersellers’ Awards 2016. Cockpit Arts is an award winning creative business incubator for makers in London and the Awards are generously sponsored by The Leathersellers’ Company Charitable Fund.
The prestigious Cockpit Arts / Leathersellers’ Awards are intended for talented makers who are seeking business development support to take their creative business to the next level. In return for a place at Cockpit Arts, the winners will be required to develop new work where leather is a major constituent and to showcase this in conjunction with Cockpit Arts.
The Prize – free studio space and business development support for one year!
The Cockpit Arts / Leathersellers’ Awards 2016-17 recipients will be awarded a match-funded place at Cockpit Arts Deptford for one year, worth £2,000, with the possibility of support for a further year. This includes the following benefits:
- Studio space for a year within the creative community of Cockpit Arts’ business incubator in Deptford, south London
- Access to the Leather Hub, housing leather working equipment for shared use by Awardees
- Business and creative development services including on-site coaching, a personalised development plan, workshops and seminars
- Selling and promotional opportunities including Cockpit Arts Open Studios events twice a year
- Opportunity to collaborate with other makers in the Cockpit community
- Access to office facilities and resource centre
Who can apply?
Makers of any age who have already established a market for their work, and have a track record of and commitment to working in leather are eligible to apply. The judges, including British designer Bill Amberg; Vanessa Swann, Chief Executive, Cockpit Arts; and Geoff Russell-Jones, Charities & Education Officer, The Leathersellers’ Company, will be looking for individuals who demonstrate entrepreneurial spirit and a commitment to grow their business as well as craft skills and creative flair.
Makers who have previously been accepted to join Cockpit Arts in the past 12 months but have not as yet been offered a space are welcome to apply. Previous acceptance does not guarantee selection for this Award.
- Applicants must be resident in the UK. Non-British citizens may apply but must be prepared to show relevant VISA if offered interview
- Applicants should be trading as a craftsperson
- Previous Leathersellers’ Postgraduate Scholarship winners are eligible to apply
How to Apply
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for an application form
- Deadline for receipt of applications is 5pm, Monday 17 October 2016
- Interviews with shortlisted applicants will be held w/c 7 or 14 November 2016
- Winners will be expected to take up their place at Cockpit Arts in January 2017.